Those who are into personal investing may already have heard of the importance of having a smart portfolio management. When an investor is interested in being successful in the trade of investment, a portfolio is necessary to be able to know your status and capabilities in the world of investments.
People who are just starting out in investing study their portfolio almost regularly to be able to know their way around the investment arena. This could give the investor the better chances in being successful in his ways in investments. As the investor is getting more familiar with the ropes of investing, he tends to just dismiss the importance of managing his portfolio.
There are few key points to remind yourself when it comes to personal investing, particularly if you want to be successful in the trade.
- The market is unpredictable and changes can happen anytime, sometimes at the least time you expected. It is important to review your asset allocation regularly.
- Always have for yourself a safety margin when you invest in stocks. Invest only with the right amount of risk.
- One of the things that won't fluctuate or lose value in the long run is commodities in your portfolio. Asset allocation in commodities can give stability to your portfolio. Allocation of assets in commodities will give you a safety cushion against inflation. Personal investing could mean having at least 10 percent of investments in commodities.
- A sound personal portfolio is never complete without a good asset allocation in bonds. This also provides some safety measures in your investments. Those who are relatively new to investing may want to have at least around 30 percent of investment in bonds.
- Management of a smart and sound personal portfolio also means having knack in taking advantage of the benefits in taxes while you make your calls in investments. Re-allocating in those accounts that are giving you tax advantages would be a great idea to manage your portfolio. Taking advantage of the tax benefits when investing will allow you to enjoy your profits without having to worry about hefty taxes to pay up.
These are just some of the essential factors that an investor must consider when he is serious in doing great in personal investing. Having a sound and smart portfolio to manage is very important as it allows the investor to have a clear idea on where his investments should be.
By Stephen Waller